Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vsnon-t echie...) -Reply

Subject: Re: Interview Questions (deliberately veering from techie vsnon-t echie...) -Reply
From: Sella Rush <sellar -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 13:37:00 -0700

Personally, I have trouble with questions like what's your favorite
novel/music/movie/pastime/etc. I was one of those people who couldn't
decide on a major because everything (except economics) was so darned
interesting.

How can I compare the experience of reading Pride and Prejudice with reading
Dick Francis (my personal definition of a guilty pleasure)? Sometimes I'm
in the mood for Aretha Franklin, other times croaking along with a scratched
old vinyl of Jesus Christ Superstar hits the spot. I'm a Hitchcock fan but
I also like the old musicals, Jack Lemmon, and an occasional Mel
Gibson/Harrison Ford action movie. I love to fly small planes, I love to go
hiking, I love to spend an entire afternoon reading a novel.

This is all starting to sound a bit too much like a personal ad, but my
point is this. What am I supposed to say to an interviewer? If I try to
explain my problem, I just come off like someone refusing to commit myself.
And yet I hate to apply such one-dimensional characterization to myself.
The problem is that I tend to fail miserably in interviews when I focus on
*the game* and stop trying to be honest and *real* about myself.

now veering dangerously off-topic....

Sella Rush
mailto:sellar -at- apptechsys -dot- com
Applied Technical Systems (ATS)