Re: An index in service manuals

Subject: Re: An index in service manuals
From: Scott Wahl <swahl -at- BRIDGEWATERSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 14:13:29 -0400

An index is essential in any paper reference manual. It is especially important
in a service manual, where operators have to find specific information fairly
quickly.

Also, even if you think that any user can find information using the table of
contents, most users expect an index in a paper manual -- so the absence of one
creates unnecessary anxiety and frustration right from the start.

Barry Kieffer wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> A quick question to all of you TW's who create paper media service manuals:
>
> Do you include an index in the paper service manual?
>
> I have to admit, when I look at a manual, or go to look something up in a
> manual, I go right to the index first.
>
> Where I work, the powers that be have decided amongst themselves that
> service manuals may not contain an index.
>
> What are your views?
>
> TIA!
>
> Regards,
>
> Barry

begin:          vcard
fn:             Scott Wahl
n:              Wahl;Scott
org:            Bridgewater Systems
adr:            555 Legget Dr.  Suite 800;;;Kanata;ON;K2K 2X3;CANADA
email;internet: swahl -at- bridgewatersys -dot- com
title:          Customer Documentation Coordinator
tel;work:       1-613-591-6655
tel;fax:        1-613-591-6656
tel;home:       1-613-236-7954
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0