Re: *Interview Questions RE-Revisited

Subject: Re: *Interview Questions RE-Revisited
From: Michelle Nolan <nolanmj -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:00:06 PDT

KW:

In a former life, I was a career consultant. Off the top of my head,
some questions that can be key and I advise others to find out about
are:

-What might a "typical" day be like for a Tech Writer here? That often
helps you get a sense of the management style, how much teamwork and
independent work is involved, the stress level in the office, etc.
-What are the general expectations regarding overtime work? You need to
ask this at the right time, but it is a very important question to ask
and discuss briefly.
-Where are the Tech Writers located in this office? Is there a desk
free for the person taking this position? You would be surprised how
often new employees arrive, with nowhere to sit and no computer.
Sometimes that is quickly remedied, but not always. Something good to
know if you are offered the job.
-Has the company had layoffs in the past? If so, how often and how many
were affected?
-What is the turnover rate? How long do employees typically stay on?
Are there opportunities for advancement?
-It is crucial to ask regarding benefits. In addition, if you are
offered the job, make sure you talk with a rep from HR before making a
decision. You would be surprised how may well-meaning employees do not
know or understand their company's benefits. Ask for a brochure or
listing, so you've got something more to rely upon than just someone's
word.

I could go on and on, but these are some that go beyond the obvious
"work" questions and I find important. Hope it helps-

Michelle Nolan
Lead Technical Writer
The Nolan Technology Group, Inc.
nolanmj -at- hotmail -dot- com

>Friends,
>
>Yesterday (6/1/98), I posted a message asking for help with interview
>questions. I have since received a few helpful replies. I mentioned
this
>endeavor to a previous professor of mine, and what started out as a
favor
>to a friend has possibly become a good opportunity for new tech writing
>graduates.
>
>I've been asked by a professor (and others) to compile a list of good
>interview questions and job search tips as a resource for college
grads.
>This could give grads an edge most of us lacked when looking for that
first
>job.
>
>SO... I'm asking for more help concerning interview questions (asked by
the
>interviewee) and job search tips from the folks who have been there.
Any

http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/books.htm