Re: Tech Writer Position in Folsom: Salary

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Position in Folsom: Salary
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 12:56:41 -0700

Mark,

As someone (a Sr. Tech Writer with 16+ years experience) from the South SF
Bay Area who interview last year (June through October) for positions in
the Sacramento-Fulsom area perhaps I can shed a bit of personal experience
on this debate.

Yes, the salary converter shows $41,000+ in Sacramento as equivalent to
$70,000 in the South SF Bay Area. However, I question the accuracy of that
conversion. I found that housing was lower in Sacramento ($900+ compared
with $1,700+) for home rentals. Gas prices are approximately $.04 to $.05 a
gallon less. However, food, clothing, and other standard costs, including
entertainment (cable TV or movies), are equivalent between Sacramento and
the South SF Bay Area.

I also found a number of surprising attitudes towards the roll of a tech
writer. One company wanted a full-time senior tech writer, yet mentioned
that the position would be "evaluated" in 90 days to see whether the
company really needed someone. That evaluation dealt with the position, not
the person. Salary was definite a concern too, with mid-$30s apparently
being more what those firms with whom I interview believing was an
appropriate salary.

Best,

Denise L. Fritch