Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?

Subject: Re: IS AN ESTIMATE A COMMITMENT?
From: Denise Fritch <dfritch -at- INTELLICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:46:08 -0700

>Is an estimate supposed to be a commitment (i.e, a promise to work
>"whatever hours necessary" to meet the date)?

With an estimate, what you are saying is that given the level of work
required and from past experience, completing the project should take X
amount of time.

If, after starting the project, changes are made that requires changes to
the amount of work, then the estimated time you will need will also change.
However, as you've already discovered, some managers are not able to handle
those adjustments in project timing.

>Problem is that many managers try to equate estimate with moral
>commitment. They say that, once an estimate is made, we must meet the
>dates come hell or high water. They imply that if we do not meet our
>"commitments", we bring shame upon ourselves (not to mention bad
>performance reviews).

Actually, this sounds to me as though the manager is not "strong" enough to
"fight" for the department and writers. Almost as though development will
run late, but release remains the same so pubs "must" complete more work in
less time. Not a good view for senior management to get used to.

Denise L. Fritch