Newsletter guidelines?

Subject: Newsletter guidelines?
From: Hope Cascio <hope -dot- d -dot- cascio -at- US -dot- ARTHURANDERSEN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:18:25 -0400

I know you're trying for more professional, but have you looked at why you
have an employee newsletter in the first place? I've had the newsletter
assignment at one job, at a small community hospital. The newsletter was
supposed to make all of the people that worked there feel that they were
valued as people, who have births, deaths, certificates of achievement,
birthdays, promotions, etc. in their lives, and that other people care
about those events in their lives, too. We also used it to get out
information-- Continuous Quality Improvement team statuses, tidbits from
HR-- but most of the space was dedicated to "feel good" stuff, like the
front page was always a big article on the Employee of the Month, and we'd
run birthdays and anniversaries (of employment) every month. And people
liked it... they were always happy to see me about the newsletter, would
send baby photos and announcements, responded to the occasional poll, and
actually *read* it, the biggest compliment. We had other vehicles for
getting out important information-- this was a memo office, with mail runs
twice daily to accomodate the paper culture-- but that wasn't the purpose
of the newsletter.

HTH, YMMV, other standard disclaimers apply,
Hope Cascio

To: TECHWR-L @ LISTSERV.OKSTATE.EDU
cc: (bcc: Hope D. Cascio)
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- MIDCOM-INC -dot- COM>
Date: 06/04/98 09:54 AM

Hi all--

They've recently moved the employee newsletter here from HR to me. In
doing so, they are hoping to try for a more professional angle with the
newsletter ... no more recipes, no more cute little blind items about
"what is it that has put the sparkle in Carrie Smith's (Shift 1, Line
Leader) eyes? Could it be that new engagement ring we see on her
finger?!? Congrats Carrie!"

[shudder ...]

Still, I'm getting lots of questions about what is and what is not
acceptable fodder for this beast. Weddings? Nah, I don't think so.
Births? None of those either. Deaths? Only if it is an employee ...

Has anyone else been saddled with the employee newsletter, and have a set
of guidelines of what is included? I will create my own if need be, but
would rather not reinvent the wheel.

Thanks!

Patty Ewy
Marketing Communications