Distinguishing Application vs. Applet Interface in Doc

Subject: Distinguishing Application vs. Applet Interface in Doc
From: ""Renée L. LaPlume"" <rlaplume -at- RORKE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 09:33:12 -0500

I am writing an HTML based help system for a software
product that has both an application interface and a
browser interface (applet version). The functions
available in the browser interface are a subset of the
those available through the application interface.
There will also be a printed version of the documentation.

I'm interested in receiving suggestions on how to portray
in the documentation which functions are available in which
interface (application vs. applet). For example, should I
say at the start of a procedure that the function being
described is:
- _Only_ available in the application version of the software
- _Not_ available in the applet version of the software

Should I say when the function is available in both? Or,
should I say nothing and let the user know somewhere that
only a subset of functions are available through the browser
(the "if you don't see it in the menu or on the button bar,
you can't do it from here" approach)?

For the printed version of the documentation, should I
collate the information for the applet only version into
a subset version of the documentation?

The audience for this are print graphics professionals
with generally high levels of knowledge/experience with
computers and the Internet. The browser version is to
be used by our customers' customers (also print graphics
professionals) to enable them to download and access
files (graphics, sound, and other such multimedia types
of files) that are organized and archived by our digital
asset management system. This is a new product and my
access to actual customers is limited.

Feel free either to reply to me directly at rlaplume -at- rorke -dot- com
or post to the list. I will post a summary of responses to
the list if there is interest.