Bulleted Text References

Subject: Bulleted Text References
From: Yves François Jeaurond <jingting -at- MAGMA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 23:32:30 PDT

To whomever sent me this:

The Chicago Manual of Style, discusses
Outline style (#8.76 ss.) where you will find
info on bullets.

In Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic
Style--Second Edition" (Hartley & Marks,
Vancouver, Z246.B74, 1996), though
mentionned only briefly (pp. 40 & 273),
bullets are used in a remarkable way (p. 38)
He places the text flush left with the bullet
in (!) the margin. It's a hanging indent
(to use Word's terminology) with the paragraph
moved to the left to make the indent align
with the rest of the text like so:
< bulleted para 1
< bulleted para 2
It is effective though not commonly used.
His discussion of paragraphs and lists go into
more detail.

Whomever typeset Blake & Bly's
"The Elements of Technical Writing (New York,
Simon & Schuster, T11.B628 1993 also does
it like Bringhurst.

My trusty "Lexique des règles typographiques
en usage à l'Imprimerie nationale"
(Imprimerie nationale, Paris,
ISBN 2-11-081075-0) let me down a bit, yet
the discussion of multi paragraph quotations
is germaine: they use open quotation marks
for each para of the quotation (only the last
para gets a closing quote mark) much to the
effect of bullets.

The Microsoft Manual of Style (MMS) for
Technical Pubs does demonstrate bullet use
everywhere (see periods, plurals, procedures,
and so on)

HTH,

Yves Jeaurond
jingting -at- magma -dot- ca