Re: Putting Books on CD-ROM

Subject: Re: Putting Books on CD-ROM
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 01:49:44 +0200

Christie,

this looks like a nice little project for the PDF format.

You would need the full Acrobat package.

For preparing the documents, it would be preferrable to use a DTP
application, like Framemaker, maybe Pagemaker, if you have access to. Also,
use PostScript fonts. For the photograhps, you would have to find the
optimum scanning conditions.

The advantage of the PDF version would be that you could fully index the
documents (with Catalog, part of the Acrobat package). You could also work
with cross-references etc. In Framemaker, they would automatically be
produced.

For scanning the text, you could find a service bureau using Capture, or
(if you decide to rework on the layout) use another OCR package.

The CD-ROM would have to be a ISO 9660/HFS hybrid. Mastering the CD is
easisest on a Mac, due to the Mac file format.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap