Re: Why are we excluded???

Subject: Re: Why are we excluded???
From: "E. Forrest Christian" <eforest -at- MICRO-NET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:17:36 -0500

One rule for hiring outside one's country says that the skill should not be readily available on the native job market. It is very difficult to argue that a foreign candidate has a skill that one cannot obtain from a US native, and almost impossible when hiring for English-language writing.

And perhaps they do not understand that you speak English. Really.

A story to illustrate: I was talking with an Indian friend of mine, when another friend who did not know him came up. They chatted for awhile, and then this new arrival complimented him on his command of English. We waited until he had left to start laughing. Of course, my Indian friend spoke English well, since it was his native language.

Sometimes, Americans just don't know that there are native English speakers who are not from the US, England or Australia. I've even had folks ask what language the Scots speak. (I always tell them "Flemish".)

E. Forrest Christian
Freelance Technical Writer
eforest @ micro-net.com