Re: PS to PDF: How long to Distill?

Subject: Re: PS to PDF: How long to Distill?
From: Patty Ewy <pewy -at- MIDCOM-INC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 09:57:58 -0500

Regarding long distilling times--

We had a software manual that we distilled in bits and pieces. The
manual was built in PageMaker, and we used the "export to Adobe .pdf"
option. *Distilling* was always pretty fast, but the exporting process
for some of our manual sections (one was 180 pages) sometimes took
*hours* -- and we had PowerMac 9500/200s with 48 MB RAM to do this. I
don't know if it had to do with the compression of the graphics (which we
found was a Bad Thing for our purposes) or with embedding the fonts
(which we needed to do).

If you find a magic answer to this, please post it: I'd love to know how
to cut these times!

Regards,

Patty Ewy
Marketing Communications