transition to tech writing questions..

Subject: transition to tech writing questions..
From: John Hoppe <jhoppe -at- GIS -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 11:29:48 -0400

As someone in the Boston area who is trying hard to make the switch from
teaching to technical writing, I wonder if anyone out there might have some
advice on specific points (I've looked at the archives and gotten some good
general ideas, but I have more specific questions I hope someone can
answer):

1) Are there any employment agencies or firms in Boston that handle people
with non-technical experience? I've talked to several agencies that place
tech writers on contracts, but obviously they require experience. Anybody
know of any that will help those of us with good writing skills but no tech
experience?

2) Are the Northeastern U. and/or Middlesex Comm. College technical writing
certificates good; i.e., would they lead to a job? They claim great
placement rates--did anyone go through one of these programs? Are there
other good ones in the Boston area?

3) What's a good way of getting a foot in the door at a software company?
Should I try getting an administrative job and working into tech writing?

4) Is there anything weird or off-putting about my letter & resume (below)?
Are there better ways to present my skills than these do?

Thanks in advance.

position. I have excellent writing and communications skills, as well as a
good background in computers and desktop publishing, including years of
experience with MS Word.

While it may be unusual to receive an application from someone with my
academic background, let me emphasize what I bring to this position. My
writing skills are exceptional, perfected by teaching writing for several
years. My years of teaching have also shown me how to coordinate and
deliver multiple projects and speak in front of groups, and have honed my
abilities to think on my feet. Additionally, one of the reasons I pursued
a Ph.D. was because I have a deep commitment to lifelong learning and I am
always looking to challenge myself by learning about complex ideas and
problems, skills which are absolutely necessary in the fast-paced and
ever-changing world of high technology. From learning BASIC in high school
through integrating the internet into my college courses to teaching myself
HTML and putting up my own web site, I have had a great aptitude and
interest in computers. I am excited about the transition I am making into
this world and am committed to a future in it. I look forward to acquiring
the technical skills I will need to complement my abilities and deliver
writing excellence here.

My salary requirements are negotiable; what is most important to me is the
opportunity to make a successful transition to this exciting field.

Please find attached a copy of my resume for your review. I would
appreciate an opportunity to discuss my abilities in more depth, and am
available for an interview at your earliest convenience. I look forward to
hearing from you.

Sincerely,
John Hoppe

++ Resume ++

Name, address, etc...

Objective

--A technical writer position at a dynamic and forward-moving high-tech company.

Skills

* Expert writing, editing and proofreading skills.

* Superior analytical, organizational and research skills.

* Macintosh and Windows abilities: Word, PageMaker, HTML/Internet.

--See my web site at http://www.gis.net/~jhoppe

* Public speaking expertise.

* French language proficiency.

Writing, Editing and Research (Research Assistant and Graduate Student)

--University of Iowa, 1988-94

+ Wrote, edited and proofread manuscripts.
+ Wrote, edited and produced newsletter for Association of Graduate
Students in English.
+ Produced layout and typesetting for scholarly manuscript, and prepared
indexes on computer.
+ Analyzed and recommended print resources to senior scholars.
+ Researched library archives.

Organization and Analysis (College Teacher)

--University of Massachusetts at Lowell, 1996-97
Emerson College, 1996-97
Boston College, 1996
University of Iowa, 1989-96.

+ Won Outstanding Teaching Award (University of Iowa, 1994)
+ Organized and implemented semester-long undergraduate and graduate level
courses in writing, public speaking and literature.
+ Coordinated and led class discussions
+ Formulated and evaluated assignments and examinations.
+ Advised students on projects, essays, and research.

Administration

--University of Iowa, 1992-93.

+ Served as President of Association of Graduate Students in English and
Graduate Student Senator.
+ Presided over monthly business meetings, prepared budgets, advised
faculty committees on departmental business and procedures.
+ Evaluated written materials, participated in decision-making process, and
recommended candidates for faculty position in English Department.
+ Shaped university policies relating to graduate students; conveyed
information to student constituency.
+ Evaluated student travel fund requests and recommended awards.

Education

University of Iowa, Ph.D./English, December 1996.
Texas Lutheran College, B.A./ English, Magna Cum Laude, 1986.
Sorbonne University-France, Intensive French language program, 1985-86.

--References Available Upon Request