Re: Become a tech writer in only 70 hours

Subject: Re: Become a tech writer in only 70 hours
From: Rahel Bailie <rbailie -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 09:56:11 -0700

Agreed. I had an informational interview with an aspiring tech writer
who brought in a similar print ad. Learn Quark, PageMaker, FrameMaker,
PhotoShop and become the hottest technical communicator in the biz.

Editorial Eye said it best: The music is not in the violin. I can play
many instruments, but my skills would never get me a job with an
orchestra; the tech communicators I admire have the technologies under
their belt but as well, they have the theoretical knowledge that makes
their technologies "sing."

Rahel

From what you describe, they do teach you some application software. But
do
they teach you anything about _writing_? Do they teach you anything
about
information gathering strategies? Do they teach you anything about
handling
documentation projects? Do they teach you about ... ?????

From that description, it is a software using course ... nothing more.

I would be _very_ sceptical about them. I may be wrong; it wouldn't be
the
first time, but ...