Re: ISO 9000

Subject: Re: ISO 9000
From: Sean McFerren <smcferre -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 11:48:25 -0500

Efforts to acquire ISO9000 registration are not always "meaningless paper chases."
I was involved with United Space Alliance's successful ISO9000 registration effort
(required by NASA for all contracts after Y2K) and observed the potential
benefits, firsthand.

Indeed, it is an enourmous undertaking that requires teamwork and coordination.
But, the result can be a more efficient, consistent organization operating in an
environment conducive to training and effective knowledge management. Incidences
of human error decrease, and those tasks that used to "fall through the cracks"
are now captured in process documentation the organization must follow.

I watched with keen interest as many naysayers eventually realized the benefits
ISO9000 compliance was providing our company. Of course, upper-management has to
be committed to a real "culture change" for the true potential to be realized.

Sean McFerren
Performance Support Services
Computer Sciences Corp.
713.525.9166
smcferre -at- csc -dot- com

> However, implementing ISO is very difficult. Most people within an
> organization define their worth based upon how much "inside" knowledge
> they feel they have about how things are done. So knowledge of
> procedure is turf. And people will fiercely defend "their" turf -
> they
> will attack anyone who trys to learn procedure that they feel they
> alone
> know.
>
> As the result of the above, most ISO 9000 efforts are really just
> meaningless "paper-chase" efforts. The primary purpose of which is
> for
> the company to be able to claim that they are ISO 9000 certified and
> therefore get big-buck contracts for which certification is a
> prerequisite. Actually, most managers know this at the onset of the
> project. And the seek out ISO 9000 project members who are at root
> "paper-chasers".

I wouldn't worry about it too much. ISO 9000 is nothing more
than another QC fad, just like TQM was in the 80s, and SPC was in the
70s. It won't last. Some bored consulting company will come up with
something new and improved.
Gordo