Re: Format for receiving document reviews

Subject: Re: Format for receiving document reviews
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:55:03 -0500

> I was wondering if anyone out there in technical-writing-land has the
> magic answer to what is the best way to receive comments from
> developers/engineers on the documents you write.

(snipped...we don't do online reviews. Our reviewers hate them and so do
I.)

>Do any of you use the method of printing out documents and
> asking the reviewer to write their comments directly on the paper?

Yes. This creates a permanent record of who told me to change what and
when. Also, I can carry the paper copy around to their cubicle to
discuss it with them and I can write follow-up notes next to their
notes. I doubt that we will ever do fully online reviews.

>How have you dealt with the "unresponsive" reviewer?

Flattery and bribes. When that fails, I go to their supervisor.

>How do you ensure that you do receive comments back from the
> reviewer in a timely manner?

I go GET it. I usually send reminders around the day before it's due
back, too. I also note on the review form that if they fail to return
the document on the due date, I will assume that they concur with the
document as is and that I will note that "concurrence" in the permanent
record.

>Do you have any examples good and bad experiences with reviews
>of your documentation? Please share!

Some reviewers are lousy. They only flip through the document and mark
the most bizarre things (misspellings that aren't, like "loose" vs.
"lose"....engineers always "loose" things!) and yet won't even comment
about major gum-ups like wrong screen shots or whole dialogs missing.
Others are meticulous and give me detailed feedback and solid
suggestions. I send the first round of review to the engineers on the
team...they're the worst. Then the remaining rounds are to QA...they're
a mixed bag.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.