Re: But, people *like* fluff and Dummies books

Subject: Re: But, people *like* fluff and Dummies books
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 09:25:11 -0500

> From: John Cornellier [mailto:cornelli -at- CLAMART -dot- SRPC -dot- SLB -dot- COM]

> Sometimes words like "simply" and "easily" are extraneous and
> do nothing to reassure the reader. Not all the time though.
>
> Someone posted "our users are not all idiots". So, are *some*
> of them idiots? Raise your hand if you have a "for Dummies" book.
>
>(Dummies explanation snipped)
>
> Fluffy though it may well be, it seems to be what millions of
> people want to buy.

Yes, Dummies books are popular and yes I have SEVERAL, but they are
written for a specific audience. I've not heard of any corporations that
buy large quantities for their employees to accompany software in which
the corporation has just invested a couple hundred thousand dollars.

The Dummies approach **might** be appropriate if you are writing for the
home user market (for example, cookbook software), the teen market (for
example, game software) and so on. Even then, I would tread carefully.
If there is even a remote possiblity that your docs might need
localization/internationalization, I'd say forget it. Find another
creative outlet, such as software reviews for your local newspaper. The
real caveat here is to WRITE TO YOUR AUDIENCE.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.
Richardson, TX (972)997-8355