FWD: Re: Sterling Software

Subject: FWD: Re: Sterling Software
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 08:42:19 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Anon:
I was the lone writer in a small software development/consulting company
that was acquired by a large s/d company. At first I was concerned
because I knew they already had a tw department. However, it became
apparent that the extent of their technology was Word, while my projects
included online help and HTML conversions, so my job was safe.

Unfortunately, it also became apparent that we were acquired as a tax
write-off, and managment treated the acquired staff as expendable. After
six months, only about a dozen of the 75ish original staff remain
(others left out of disgust), and most of those are just waiting for
offers.

This is the second time I've been through this acquisition/corporate
culture clash. I hope my experiences are the exception, not the norm,
and that you fare better.
Good luck.