FWD: Sterling Software

Subject: FWD: Sterling Software
From: John New <johnn -at- JOLT -dot- MPX -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 07:36:44 +1000

About five/six years ago I worked as a tech writer for a US company that
was taken over by SS. My part of the US company was based in Sydney,
Australia. Before the takeover we had a separate techical communications
section, with a tech comms manager and more than 10 writers at one stage.

There were certainly retrenchments soon after the takeoever, although very
few tech writers were retrenched. The tech comms section was reorganised
so that it didn't really exist as a separate entity - most of us were
assigned to software development teams as needed and floated around from
project to project.

I'm not sure how tech comms in my former section at SS is organized now.
But I believe it's now a separately managed section again, and much
smaller. This is because some writers, like myself, have left. I know
that others have been retrenched over the years as SS have worked out
their direction. I believe that most writers haven't been replaced.

As others on this list have pointed out, it's a good policy to keep your
CV up-to-date and to keep your eyes on the job market. You never know
when you will have to look around for another job.

Please email me privately if you would like any more info. Good luck.

John New | johnn -at- mpx -dot- com -dot- au | http://www.intsoft.com.au/~intsoft
Technical Writer | International Software Services, Sydney, Australia