Re: Volunteer TW Services

Subject: Re: Volunteer TW Services
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:37:30 -0700

Deborah Ray <debray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> wrote:
>I have yet to find a charitable organization that wants
>volunteer TW services. No kidding!

Our STC chapter (Santa Barbara) has recently started a TW services volunteer
program. We are currently doing some work for Direct Relief International
(DRI), an organization that provides medical supplies to areas around the
world hit by disasters and poverty.

The project is just getting started, but our volunteers have already done
some writing and editing for their newsletter. Our project manager is trying
to sell DRI on some sort of website project.

It's true that non-profits do have unique decision-making issues and
constraints when it comes to spending money (even to make money). And, many
of them are unfamiliar with most of the technology we take for granted.

Most of the communication for our project is being done via e-mail, and
several of our volunteers are members who live far enough away that they
rarely make it to chapter meetings. I see no reason people from farther away
couldn't participate. Anyone who is interested in this project should
contact Greg Camacho <GregC -at- motioneng -dot- com>.
Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Online Help
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne o Web Documentation
Tel: 805/683-5784 o Database Publishing
Santa Barbara STC: http://stc.org/region8/snb