Humour in Publications - A bit off topic

Subject: Humour in Publications - A bit off topic
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:10:29 -0400

I know, I know - it's a dead topic now. But ... since we had this rather
lengthy topic going, which included discussion around the Dummies and
Idiots books, I would like to share a passage out of the Windows 98 for
Dummies book. This is in the chapter concerning installation (which for
some strange reason is at the back of the book?!?). It states:

"Pick up the box that contains the Windows 98 software and look for where
the plastic bunches up in the corners. With your incisors, bite into that
little chunk of plastic and give it a good tug. Repeat this procedure a
few times until you've created a finger-sized hole. Then peel back the
plastic until the box is free. Be careful of your gums."

Kind of makes you think the writer took the term "Dummies" just a little
too literally.

Suzette