Updating client-side manuals

Subject: Updating client-side manuals
From: James Lockard <j_lockard -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:31:32 -0700

Here's the story: The company I work for releases updates to their
main software product quarterly. It's a Windoze product, and we
support it with
o a paper reference guide
o release notes
o an online quick reference (winhelp)
o a bi-monthly newsletter.

We still don't have an established method for notifying clients of the
most recent changes.

What's the best way to inform our clients of the new features?

Updating the manual would be nice, but since we're not gong to ship
out entirely new manuals, that means we'd be asking our clients to
swap out the pages themselves.

Alternately, we could produce an addendum/appendix that includes all
the relevant changes to the program, but wouldn't require any page
swapping by our clients.

Last quarter we instead sent out a help file that was available
through the Help menu (Help-->What's New).Marketing feels like Help
menu option was not visible enough.

In addition, we've been writing "how to" articles in the newsletter
that explain how to use the new features. Those articles always appear
a few months after the new release.

Given 2 weeks to address this issue, how would you inform your clients
about the new features?

TIA,
James Lockard

james -dot- lockard -at- experian -dot- com
norton -at- megsinet -dot- net