Anonymity (was Request to Subscribers - Clarified)

From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <Phillinion -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:34:43 EDT

This brings up a couple of issues about anonymity. When I signed on to this
list, I had no idea that my full name would be included with my email address.
This had never happened on any other list I've been on.

I am never afraid to stand behind what I have said, WHEN I have said it with
the expectation of everyone knowing _I_ said it. To be specific, my first
post ("not a slam") was about a manager I had just worked for. I would never
have been as specific as I was, in fact, would never have sent the post, if I
had known my name would appear with it.

Now anyone who recognized my name will know who that manager was and may
repeat what I said, thus turning it into a slam, possibly even a monumental
slam. I never intended to hurt this woman's feelings or to hold her up to
ridicule, so I was nonplussed to say the least to see my name up there in
front of god and everyone.

I don't remember being advised that this would be the case, but perhaps new
list subscribers should be warned that their names will appear so they can
plan their posts accordingly.

That said, and with the knowledge that this is being made public, I can say
that I work in the Silicon Valley at the moment but actually live north of San
Francisco and would love to find work closer to home.

BJ