Plea for distinction salary vs. contractor rates in postings

Subject: Plea for distinction salary vs. contractor rates in postings
From: "Feldman, Richard" <FeldmanR -at- MTSS -dot- KIRTLAND -dot- AF -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:37:12 -0600

Hi all,

I've been following the widely ranging opinions regarding whether
and how much Anonymous is underpaid with the same frustration that I
follow all discussions of remuneration for our work. It is clear that
some people are completely addressing contractor rates while others are
looking at employee wage rates. FWIW, my reading of Anonymous's message
was that A. is an employee. Ambiguity as to which kind of hourly rate
people are talking about creates needless conflict and makes the
information sharing less valuable for those of us trying to follow it
and glean insights.

A separate but related topic: I am sometimes made uncomfortable by
the tone of the messages of those of you who talk about how well you are
doing economically. I am well aware of and not particularly delighted
about being on the low portion of the salary curve, but feel that I am
making the best of my options. I would like to remind participants that
the readers of this list come from a wide variety of
circumstances--geographic, historical, or otherwise--and not all of us
have the options open to some. Please try not to crow or lecture too
much regarding how much it is possible for technical communicators to
earn. Thank you.

Best,
Richard

> Richard Feldman, Technical Writer
> Camber Flight Simulation, L.C.
> feldmanr -at- mtss -dot- kirtland -dot- af -dot- mil (1-505) 256-6708
> Bldg. 952, Rm 129 Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque New Mexico
> USA

<<application/ms-tnef>>