re icons in running text

Subject: re icons in running text
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <mark -at- MEMCO -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 09:06:09 +0300

Sorry I'm late on this. About a week ago, the question of plugging
icons into running text came up and I believe all the answers were
in favor. I'd like to caveat that, as Alexander Haig would say.

1. While it's true that by budging the icon downward on the
line you can minimize the disruption in line-spacing, there is
of course a limit. It's possible for an icon to be too doggone
big.

2. A lot of people hear the sentences in their head as they read.
If your icon doesn't have any text, I personally suspect that
(a) they will find it irritating to read, and (b) they may not
retain the information very well.

To some extent, you can overcome the second problem by aggressively
and repeatedly explaining what the name of the icon is.

- Mark L. Levinson - Memco Ltd. - Wallenberg 24 - 69719 Tel Aviv
- work: mark -at- memco -dot- co -dot- il / tel. +972-3-6450049 / fax +972-3-6450001
- home: nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il / tel. +972-9-9552411 or 9555720
Sometimes I feel like a Slinky on the escalator of life.
- Patrick Nolan