Re: need to look good fast

Subject: Re: need to look good fast
From: Rebecca Price <beccap -at- RUST -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:05:58 -0400

I can't begin to thank everyone who has written to me with
suggestions. You're all
wonderful!

btw, I didn't mention it earlier but we're using Ventura. I hope to
migrate to Frame
in the next year, but we're stuck with Ventura for now. Actually, it
does a fairly
competent job, and I'm growing to respect it although I doubt I'll
ever love it. <g>

consensus seems to be:

* first, find a standard style sheet and stick with it for all
chapters
* look at Information Mapping as a possible format to standardize
on down the road. (can't be done immediately, alas!)
* most people feel that the GBC or wire binding makes the most
sense, for price, speed, and ease of use. Once a manual is
printed,
the contents don't change for that machine, so 3-ring binders
don't
make much sense and are more expensive.
* jump type to 11 pt. times with 12 pt. leading, using 14 pt
helvetica
for headers.
* where I can't use drawings, take photos with a digital camera.
* pre-printed color basic covers that are individulally run through
the
laser printer work well, and look nice.

there were other good suggestions that I won't summarize here, to
conserve space. But again, thank you all!

--
Becca Price
beccap -at- rust -dot- net

"Wisdom begins when you discover the difference between 'That doesn't
make sense' and "I don't understand.' "

Children of God, by Mary Doria Russell; pg 142-143