Re: Editing GIFs

Subject: Re: Editing GIFs
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 16:44:28 -0400

Well, Image Composer has a "save as" option for GIF. It's what I use most
often.

Paintshop Pro does, too. I assume that Photoshop must as well. Many
shareware programs don't due to licensing issues. GIF is a proprietary
format, and you can't just write a program to create GIF files, you have to
obtain a license.

GIFs are bitmap type files, and there isn't any way to convert them back to
anything but other bitmap formats, unless you are doing something odd, like
OCR, to them. If you have an object oriented or vector based graphic source,
I'd suggest keeping a source copy and a GIF copy of the results.

One of the cool things about GIF is that it is a lossless compression. With
some graphic formats (the most common one being JPEG) you lose a little
quality every time you load and save a graphic. Not so with GIF.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com