FWD: TW Rates/Remuneration

Subject: FWD: TW Rates/Remuneration
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 05:50:57 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I recently gave notice at my job to take a position offering me a 30%
increase in salary, a week of additional vacation, and IPO stock. While
leaving my employer is not going to cause the company to fold or anything,
my boss and many coworkers were quite shocked when I told them about the
salary and bennies forthcoming from my new job. Seems they didn't think a
tech writer could deserve all that remuneration. One other tech writer
recently quit because she felt she was treated like a glorified secretary.

My fellow techwriters, hear me when I say to you that you are worth a lot
out there in the marketplace right now. If your current employer ain't
doin' you right, i.e., doesn't treat you with the respect and appreciation
you deserve, doesn't pay you what you deserve, or expects you to work
ridiculous hours, look around. You can do better. In some cases, much
better.

- Feelin' fine