Re: Hourly Rate for editors

Subject: Re: Hourly Rate for editors
From: Jean Weber <jhweber -at- WHITSUNDAY -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 09:32:26 +1000

I will comment on only one of Anonymous's questions.

> Does the average writer charge more or less than the average editor? (I
> do developmental editing, but the scuttlebutt at my last company seemed
> to be that editors made less than writers.)

It depends on what the editor's role is, and of course on a particular
company's perception of that role and the relative worth of writers and
editors.

In my opinion, editors and writers with comparable responsibilities and
skill levels should be paid the same (or should charge the same, if not an
employee). If you're "average", you should charge less than if you're
exceptionally good or have exceptional responsibilities. For example, a
good, experienced editor with responsibilities for a large project
involving several writers should, in my opinion, be paid _more_ than the
"average" writer on the team and closer to what the team leader is paid.

I think the other points made in Anonymous's note are more relevant to an
appropriate rate to charge, than the fact that it's an editor's role rather
than a writer's.

If you're interested in more information about the technical editor's role,
which might be useful when negotiating with management, you might like to
read my papers available at these URLs:

"The role of editor in the technical writing team",
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jean_weber/edrole.htm

"Who needs a technical editor?",
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jean_weber/Whoneeds.htm

(Both of these include material adapted from Robert Van Buren and Mary Ann
Buehler, 'The Levels of Edit', which is acknowledged in the papers.)

Regards, Jean

Jean Hollis Weber
P.O. Box 640, Airlie Beach, QLD 4802
Australia
Ph. (07) 4948 0450
Fax. (07) 4948 0435
jhweber -at- whitsunday -dot- net -dot- au
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jean_weber/index.htm