Re: CE documentation (long)

Subject: Re: CE documentation (long)
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 1998 20:51:26 +0200

Debra,

Besides the legal considerations (conformity to the appropriate directives
and standards), there are marketing considerations as well, which have an
effect on the decision on what to translate.

There are countries where it is crucial to have the whole documentation in
the major language, and not English. In some cases, English documentation
only can be the knock-out criterion.

The number you mention for your translation cost must be put in relation to
the price of the product, or better to the expected revenue of the
products, and to the development cost. Then, suddenly, it may no longer
look so bad at all. Also, it is worthwile to have the documentation
creation (and translation) starting rather early in the development
process. If translation can start early, the time lag is becoming
acceptable. ... particularly if a major sales contract does not come in
because of the missing manuals in the right language.

So, it could be that saving the cost for translation can be a wonderful
example of shooting in one's own foot.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html