Re: Work_Animal_Ship

Subject: Re: Work_Animal_Ship
From: Guy McDonald <guy -at- NWLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 09:25:49 -0700

Gordo Deyo:
Wow, it must be nice to have all this time. I wish I had the time to
analyze the writing work of others and follow-up any negative critiques
with a call to the offending writer's boss. Next time the position for
TW overseer becomes open, please let me know.

You had the time to fire a snippy note off to over 4000 of us Gordo, surely
you may bless one of us with a constructive critique at some point in the
future. Gratis of course ,-)

Sybille Sterk:
"contacting a company to tell them (for any reason) that their documentation
is no good and that they need to get rid of their technical author is bad
style, very
arrogant and self-righteous. <snip> What's the world coming to, if we
sanction such behaviour?"

Nancy Hickman:
"However, it doesn't follow that you should insert yourself in the situation
and say that the writer should be "canned" or what not."

Where did you two ladies read that Melonie Holliman advocated we urge an
employer to terminate a technical writer? Perhaps I missed that comment, or
perhaps you both are reading into her comments. After reading her original
note several times - I just can't see the connection. I do see a fair
amount of editorializing which subjoins the initial comment.

There are some on this list who have published in various forms of media
that jump for joy when readers respond with unsolicited comments. Good
writers welcome and even encourage readers to do so by using techniques that
are tailored to motivate a proactive response.

Katav is right - "gentle, specific criticism with corrective options
[afford] a win-win situation" which is what I hope Ms. Holliman had in mind
when she composed her message. Contacting an employer with reckless abandon
concerning critical issues isn't a wise way to foster respect in any
profession.

Guy McDonald
Seattle, WA
guy -at- nwlink -dot- com