Re: Packaging software

Subject: Re: Packaging software
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:05:59 -0700

Pearl Speear wrote:

> Our department has planned to release a *light* version of our current
> software application. This light version will have limited functionality,
> but against payment, the customer can ask for more functionality and
> even request for all the functionality the original application has.
> My problem now is that I do not know beforehand which functionality
> will be delivered in every particular light version. Has anyone ideas
> of how to deal with that in the documentation. My first thought was to
> describe all functionality in a manual and supply the individual
> customers with a list of the functionality in their version. Does
> anyone have other ideas?

Tracy's suggestion of documenting everything and putting a notice on
every page is a good one. However, if your company doesn't buy that, I
think the next thing to do is to have a binder for the documentation,
modularize your documentation and give each module a part number and a
tab. When your customers order specific combinations, whoever is
fulfilling the order could also put the appropriate shrink-wrapped
modules in with the binder.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html