Re: Capitalization question

Subject: Re: Capitalization question
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 17:09:23 -0700

slbare -at- juno -dot- com wrote:

> I just settled this question for a client with the aid of technical
> research librarians. Here is what has been documented by them:
> [snip]

> internet - lower case - copyrighted word by IBM usually referring to a
> group systems (I'm at home so I don't have their training manual for ISP
> in front of me, where it is listed to quote it verbatim.

I would very much like to see evidence that this term is
copyrighted: I've never seen that fact mentioned before.

> Internet - capitalized - referring to the World Wide Web as a proper
> noun.

While the World Wide Web is accessed through the Internet, the two
terms are not synonymous. The Internet (capital "I") is a large
internet comprising large national backbone nets and local and regional
nets worldwide. It uses the Internet Protocol (both inital capped).

Finally, "World Wide Web" is already a proper noun so why do you need a
different one to refer to it?

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html