Use of the word "the" in figure captions

Subject: Use of the word "the" in figure captions
From: Katherin King <kking -at- BROOKTROUT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:06:33 -0400

There's a difference of opinion between myself and my supervisor over
the use of the word "The" in figure captions, as in "The such-and-such
dialog box." He wants the word "the" removed, I think it should stay. I
looked it up in the MS Manual of Style and found support for my opinion.
I would appreciate other opinions on this.

Kathy Stanzler
Technical Writer
Brooktrout Technology Inc.
Southborough, MA