Re: Use of the word "the" in figure captions

Subject: Re: Use of the word "the" in figure captions
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 17:35:30 +0200

I also feel that the definite article should stay.
I always use it. I feel that it is proper, more formal, and more polite.
Otherwise the user feels that you are throwing something at him,
or figuratively "beating him over the head" with the diagram.
Besides, you sound like Rocky if you don't use it.
(Yo, you! "Alert" dialog box.)

In short, figures should be captioned with the use of the definite article, because it implies that you are telling the reader specifically what he or she is looking at. (Pardon my ending a sentence with a preposition, please.)

Unless your boss/supervisor is paying you by the character, he has no argument.
If he is, volunteer to waive receipt of payment for four characters for every figure in the document.
Tell him it is a matter of professional pride-of-workmanship.