Re: Use of the word "the" in figure captions

Subject: Re: Use of the word "the" in figure captions
From: Reuven Frank <reuven -at- E-AND-C -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 18:19:32 +0200

See below

----------
From: Parks, Beverly
Sent: Mon, 13 Jul.98 16:52 PM
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

I'd leave it out, especially if that's all the caption reads
(the name of the dialog box). If you were to create a list of figures
for the table of contents, and that list was based on the captions, it
would look funny, I think, if they all began with "The".

This can be avoided by bookmarking the captions without the word "the" and creating a separate style heading for them and creating the TOF from that.

However, if
your captions contain a lot of information in multiple sentences, then
using "the" might be appropriate.

Bev Parks

> > There's a difference of opinion between myself and my supervisor
> over
> > the use of the word "The" in figure captions, as in "The
> such-and-such
> > dialog box." He wants the word "the" removed, I think it should
> stay.

~~

<<application/ms-tnef>>