Re: Qualifications Descriptions

Subject: Re: Qualifications Descriptions
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:33:02 -0700

Bruce Ashley wrote:

> The U.S. system of education appears to be vastly different from those in
> Oz and probably elsewhere.
>
> Could some kind sole please advise at what year a U.S. Batchelors Degree
> (for example)is obtained based on Year 1 = the first formal year of
> schooling (usually starts at around age 5 and often commences after a year
> or more of 'pre-school' or kindergarden).
>
> In Oz, a degree is normally obtained after 15 to 17 years of full time
> schooling and often carries the 'tag' of Batchelor ie BA = Batchelor of
> Arts but I believe yours is different.

Generally, high school is 12 years (first grade through twelfth grade),
then one can proceed to college, where the usual standard is a
four-year degree, although some people proceed more quickly or slowly.

Our degrees also have qualifying titles but they don't always make much
sense (for example, I have a Bachelor of Science in Journalism, which
at another school might have been a Bachelor of Arts). There are also
two-year degrees (Associate of Arts, or Associate *in* Arts, don't ask
me what the difference is, I doubt there is one) granted by "junior"
colleges.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html