Re: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: Layoffs and scrounging
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:35:25 -0700

My recommendations, such as they are:

* Update the resume if you haven't done so already. Never assume your
position is safe.

* People who get laid off tend not to be called back. I wouldn't put an
ounce of faith in anything the company told the recent departees about
being called back to work unless the company in fact *has* a proven
track record of actually living up to its word. Most companies don't do
this.

* Yes, it's typical to redistribute company assets among the survivors,
especially if folks have put in reqs for them. What doesn't get
redistributed goes into storage. This is called corporate recycling.

* As far as other companies in your marketplace and how they're doing:
Hate to tell you this, but you never identified what *type* of capital
equipment your company manufactures for sale or even what market your
company sells to, so I don't think anyone can responsibly comment on
that.

George