Re: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:33:22 -0700

> Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.
> Is it typical to redistribute equipment among the survivors? I'd
> really like to think we will be calling the others back. I'm not
> sure I would want to come back after a lay-off to find my desk
> marauded.

In my admittedly limited (maybe 3 times) experience, yes, it's pretty
typical. I've seen companies use downsizing just to get rid of "dead
wood", where they never really expected to bring anyone back, and other
times where they brought back folks when they could, but for those
returning and those who had stayed, things were different.

> Should I be looking for another job right now?

You probably know the answer to this yourself - you're the only one who
really knows. Is it likely to get better? Can the company recover and
then function with the remaining people? Do you *want* to continue
there?

HTH