Re: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging
From: Don Timmerman <timmerma -at- IPDLINK -dot- IPD -dot- ANL -dot- GOV>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:18:01 -0600

Many years ago a wise person told me, "It's easier to get a new job
when you're working than after you've been terminated."

I think you should also consider your age and current salary when you
decide to stick around and hope you don't get the ax. It's probably
not as easy to find a full-time permanent position (if that's the kind
of work you want) when you're near the top of your pay range and
looking forward to retirement. I know several people this very thing
happened to, and the jobs they got paid about 30% to 50% less than
they were making.

Don Timmerman, dtimmerman -at- anl -dot- gov
Senior Technical Writer
Argonne National Laboratory (near Chicago)

Subject: FWD: Layoffs and scrounging
Author: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM> at ipdlink
Date: 7/24/98 10:03 AM

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Hi Everyone,

I know some of you have been through what I'm going through and I'm looking
for some advice or encouragement.

Our company has been downsizing our division. We build capital equipment
and business has been slowing down. I've been told my position as a
technical writer is probably safe but of course there are no guarantees.
We've had two rounds of lay-offs and the atmosphere around here is rather
gloomy. When the others were let go, they were told the company would try
to call them back as soon as possible (maybe within a few months). However,
management has approved "requisitions" for monitors, computers, RAM and
other equipment from the vacated cubicles. Everyone here seems to have the
attitude of what can I grab to make it easier for me. There doesn't seem to
be a lot of thought about what will happen if we have to call the people
back. Is the outcome inevitable?

Here are my questions.

Is it typical to redistribute equipment among the survivors? I'd really
like to think we will be calling the others back. I'm not sure I would want
to come back after a lay-off to find my desk marauded.

How are other companies doing that provide capital equipment? Is the
slowdown unique to the industry I'm in?

Should I be looking for another job right now?

Thanks for the advice.