Re: FWD: Contracting and project queries

Subject: Re: FWD: Contracting and project queries
From: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:22:55 -0700

> Comments/Questions for Contractors:
>
> 1. For the second time, I'm working in a job where, before I took the job,
> I was told I would be working on a specific technology that I was VERY
> interested in learning, but when I started the job, was put to work on
> information that basically, nobody else in the group wanted to work on. My
> questions to other contractors are the following:
>
> a) How can you ensure that the job that you were told about in the
> interview translates into the job you actually do? Do you write it in the
> contract?

IMHO, contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on. It'd be a
waste of time to put it in the contract. (Ya gonna sue? Oh yeah, right!)

What is worth having is a clear understanding of what is your job
description. If it's "whatever the boss tells you to do," know that
too.

> b) If this happens to you, do you just confront the boss about it? I've
> made several lighthearted remarks, but am ready for the "serious
> discussion." However, I don't want to sound like I'm whining, and I've also
> considered that I'm doing work that really needs to be done, and other
> people in the group absolutely refuse to do it. I've thought that I could
> contribute a few months, get it done, and leave. At least, I will have made
> a contribution that no one else is willing to make.

It depends on how far you're willing to go. Your power in this
situation is directly proportional to your BATNA (Best Alternative to
Negotiated Agreement). If you can legitimately threaten to walk out
over this breach of understood contract, then you have more power than
if you're not willing to lose the job.

If it was me, I'd talk to the boss adult-to-adult (not child-to-parent,
which is whining), saying "This is what I understood would happen when I
came to work here. Is that what you understood?" Once you're both
saying the same thing, then communication has occurred, not before. If
this promised work was just a come-on, you'll find out using this
method.

When confronting a boss, or anyone about such a thing, you must (*MUST*)
get clarity about a plan of action. If the boss says "You'll have to do
this rejected work for a while," the question to ask is "How long?"

A good general question is "When will I begin doing [the desired
activity]?" Write the date on your calendar, and suggest the boss write
it on his/hers.

Avoid "light-hearted comments" about things that aren't funny to you.

> c) Another consideration is that my resume is lacking in the latest
> technology, because the last company I worked for was behind the times, to
> say the least.

Personally, I don't think that much of technology on a Tech writers'
resume. If the tool isn't something you can learn rapidly, then it
isn't much of a tool. Emphasize that you know what to build, not that
you can use tools.

> 2. On a semi-related note, I've worked for the same contract agency for a
> few years, but they haven't actually found a job for me in a long time.
> Since I have had contacts for jobs in the past, which I've passed along to
> them, they have this impression that I can just go out and find something on
> my own whenever I need a new job. However, the job situation in this area
> is really tight, and I've come to realize that I really need referrals from
> my agency, which they are not providing. (This is assuming I leave my
> present postion now rather than later.) I feel loyalty to my agency because
> they've done a good job for me in the past, but I'm wondering at what point
> do you decide if your agency is still taking the time to scope out good jobs
> for you. I have to add that since the recession in 1992, when I was
> unemployed for four days, I have not been without work, which counts for a
> lot in my book.

This appears to be the post of a "nice" person. You hire an agency to do
work for you, not be your buddies. Loyalty is not above performance on
the list of things in your relationship. If you've clearly communicated
what you want and they aren't providing it, then it's time to find
another agency. (Can't you use more than one anyway?)

I stress the clarity of communication here because it's an issue that
permeates your questions. It may be helpful to remember that we all
practice a little "wishful thinking" in talking to employers or
agencies. Employment is an extremely emotional issue (parent/child)
best managed by unemotional means (adult/adult). So do a little reality
check on yourself. Ask the agency/boss to repeat what you said. Say
"I'm hearing you say [repeat what they said in your words]" and check to
see they agree that's what they said.

We're all liars, really. It's not that we consciously do so--we do it
unconsciously. The worst of it is that we lie to ourselves, believe the
lie, then wonder why we're in such trouble. No need to continue that.
Certainly no need to be "nice," especially about this stuff.

Hope this helps.

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications