Documentation on installation CDs

Subject: Documentation on installation CDs
From: Bevan McCabe <Bevan -at- SOFTTECH -dot- CO -dot- NZ>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:43:09 +1200

Hi,

(cross-posted to winhlp-l and techwr-l lists)
This question only relates to documentation for computer software
applications released with a database, which the users have to populate with
their own data.

Do you know of any web sites with information on this topic?
(I tried searching the archives, and a general search, but couldn't find
anything)
If you have time to spare, please answer the following questions. (They're
kind of involved.)

For our product, (software for window design), there are 2 audiences of
users. Firstly, the database developers (only a few at each company) who
will be entering their company's information into the database.
Secondly, the end users (lots at each company) who will be making quotes
using this information. These users will never need to alter database
information.

Would you have 2 sets of documentation, customized for each type of user?
Or, should the topics be included in a single help file, where each user is
less likely to run into advanced topics?

I think the instructions on how the database developers enter their data
should be obviously separate to the instructions for how the end users make
quotes etc.

Currently we have 3 sets of documentation.
1. a Getting Started manual, which is available printed or online.
2. a Tutorial, intended for advanced users, only available printed.
3. Online help, covering all features of the program, intended for basic and
advanced users.

I am not so much interested in the format ([pdf, hlp etc] though feel free
to include details of that), but rather the content of documentation - what
goes where.

Please reply off list, and I will post a summary of what approaches people
take in a week or so.

Thanks,
Bevan McCabe
Technical Writer
Soft Tech (NZ) Ltd.
Auckland, New Zealand.
Ph: +649 303-1113
mailto:bevan -at- softtech -dot- co -dot- nz