Re: always look for a new job?

Subject: Re: always look for a new job?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 13:26:45 -0500

> I know a great many technical writers who claim more than 20-years of
> experience as a technical writer; but all of the more than 20-years have
> been at the same company.
>
> Is that experience or tenure?

<opinion> As someone who is about to start year 8 (eek!) at her current
employer, I hope somebody takes changing titles and duties into account.
I started as a technical writer who did little more than writing and
editing. I now have a different title and different responsibilities. I
don't see why they shouldn't count simply because they're at the same
company. </opinion>

> When I worked in/as an electrical engineer the rule of thumb was that only
> the first three years at any company could be claimed as experience.

I remember hearing that working for your parents' business could not be
claimed as work experience (of course, this was in high school, when
that six-month stint at Mr. Burger really meant something on your
application). Who makes up these rules? ;-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/