Re: Screen shots within numbered steps, OR at the end?

Subject: Re: Screen shots within numbered steps, OR at the end?
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 14:20:41 -0500

> I'm writing a user manual for beginners (not techies).
> I've included screen shots within the numbered steps. The idea is to
> include the illustration along with the instructions. The problem is
> that my list of five short steps now takes three pages. The effect of a
> numbered list is kinda lost between all the illustrations. An option is
> to put all the illustrations at the end of the list.

Oooh, I think this is a bad idea. IMHO, keeping the screen shot with its
step is much more important than limiting page length. Techies may be
comfortable turning to an "appendix" to see the screen shots, but I
wouldn't do it to novices.

What about a 2-column format with screen shots next to the text?

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/