Re: Concurrent writing & editing

Subject: Re: Concurrent writing & editing
From: Lin Laurie <linlaurie -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:15:49 -0700

I've consulted on this subject and suggest that each document be defined a
document owner. At somepoint, the document becomes closed to revisions
without having them go through the document owner. That can mean turning
revisions on and letting the owner handle which revisions to incorporate in
the "master document" or whether revisions are submitted on paper and only
the ones accepted are entered by the owner. But at some point, the owner
becomes the traffic cop to the document.

I've also suggested that another option is to hold a meeting, go through
the document as a group and close it off (except for any technical
corrections) after the meeting. Having everyone who cares about the
document in one room is one way to get concensus about what is said in the
document. Some people have strong feelings about this. It can be tedious
but guarantees that all view points are considered and no more revision
work has to occur after a meeting like this.

Hope this helps.

Lin Laurie
http://www.winpro-press.com
WinPro Online Press