Re: Communication, brainstormers needed

Subject: Re: Communication, brainstormers needed
From: "E,T, Hull" <ethull -at- WXS -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 23:21:43 +0200

Douglas Max wrote:

> No, you're not missing something, but when I say good, I guess I also
mean
> unique, honestly better, not just another commodity. My preferred style
of
> selling is "quiet confidence" which in part is reflected in my
orientation to
> make sure that potential customers have a good understanding of what we
> do...because, then, I think we'll get sales more often.

It seems to me that the "quite" part is somewhat in conflict with the need
to let the world know how good your product is. Where is the balance?

> > > * Talk fast!
> Why? 45 minutes is not a lot of time...and if you want to include
> interaction, live demonstrations, questions...all that can easily take up
> the 45 minutes without your even opening your mouth. If you were from
New
> Jersey in the US this would come naturally to you...I make the comment
> somewhat tongue in cheek, but you ought to really condense your key
points
> down to very few if you want to accomplish your goal of interactivity.

Well I'm from Chicago and I guess we're a bit slower so to fit it all in I
want to keep it to about 3 main points. What should they be?

> > My thought was to ask someone to describe and sell his or her own
> > idea/product. Does that work too?
> Problem there is that people will go on
> and on, loose track of time, others might get lost in the technical
> details...and not illustrate any better the conceptual points you want
> people to leave with. Again, 45 minutes is short. One presentor talking
> about his or her own product will want 45 minutes, agree to do it in
5...and
> then take 10. So, I think keep it simple and generic.

Now that you mention it I've had that happen too. Good tip.

Ed Hull
Professional English
Vught, The Netherlands
<ethull -at- wxs -dot- nl>