Re: Font Question, Multi use document

Subject: Re: Font Question, Multi use document
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 18:53:53 -0400

Damien and all,

Most readability studies conducted in the past involved skilled
typographers, skilled compositors, hot metal, and good presswork. The
results of those studies are not particularly meaningful when readers
are looking at low-resolution text, either output from a 300 or 600 dpi
laser printer or viewed on a 72-100 dpi monitor.

_Some_ serif fonts survive this abuse quite well; in fact many newer
fonts are designed specifically for this environment. In general,
though, more sans serif faces hold up in this environment than serif
faces. (And, of course, font size is a crucial variable in all this.)

So it is not unreasonable to believe your experimental results. The
change has not been so much the tastes of the reading public as it has
been the medium in which we publish. If you have the opportunity to
produce a book that will be output on a high-resolution device and
printed on a commercial press, don't assume that your in-office test
results will still be valid, though.

Dick