Re: Font Question, Multi use document

Subject: Re: Font Question, Multi use document
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:01:59 +0200

Jane,

the combination you mention (Palatino 10pt and Arial 9pt) is very nice indeed.

It could be that the reason why "techies" like the sans-serif fonts is
because they do have clearer lines, or that they look more designed than
serif-fonts, particularly when the horizontal and vertical line widths are
the same. Remember the days you were writing on drawings using those
Isograf templates?

If one has to go with sans serif types, it could be important to also take
into account the whole layout typography (line length, line spacing (very
important; word processors are always too tight) etc.). This can in some
ways compensate for the reduced readabiltiy of the sans serif type. The
term "Swiss typography" comes to my mind (going back to people like Jan
Tschichold or Adrian Frutiger).

Just my Zweiräppler.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html