Re: TWs and web-based resumes

Subject: Re: TWs and web-based resumes
From: Lisa Higgins <lisarea -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:05:13 +0000

So then, Bergen, Jane is all like:

> * Have you had better luck with putting them on your own site or on
> someone else's site? If you post it on your own site, do you use it as a
> link to your home page or do you have a separate (non-linked) site for
> your resume?

I put it on one of my personal sites, which has nothing else on it
right now. My personal webpages are temporarily down, but they were
on another provider entirely when I had them up.

I don't want potential employers stumbling across my personal site
because it's none of their business (and nobody'd hire me); and I
certainly don't want some psychotic Scientologist or freelance
stalker from Usenet running across my resume, which lists my phone
number, address, current employer, and so forth.

Although it would be fairly trivial for an unethical hiring party to
look up my Usenet posts and/or webpage(s), I don't like to work for
weasels, so I don't worry about it too much.

> * When you put it "out there" do you format it nicely, do you post it as
> a pdf file, or do you use a straight text/ASCII format? If you do the
> latter, do you make a formatted copy available for downloading?

Mine's formatted in very simple HTML. It's fairly printable for a web
document, but I also have hard and soft copies available on request.

> * Do you post your home phone and address? Has this proven to be a
> security issue?

Again, mine's sort of hidden, so I don't worry about it too much. I
would recommend NOT making it your default page. That is, don't put
it on your provider site and then name it index.html.

With a few minor precautions, I think you can be fairly safe doing
this. You're probably easier to find using one of those obnoxious
online phone book databases than you are through your resume.

> I suppose that in general we're trying to figure out if putting our
> resume on a website is a good idea or if there are better ways to spend
> our time.

As far as I'm concerned, it's so quick and easy to do this that I
can't see why not to.

Lisa.
lisarea -at- lucent -dot- com