Re[2]: LaTeX to ???

Subject: Re[2]: LaTeX to ???
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 14:53:49 -0500

> I have a file with a .tex extension. I think it may
> be LaTex. I need to convert it to Word or Frame.
> Can anyone help me out? I can open it in Word,
> but I can still see all the tags. I'm hoping for
> something that will convert the tags too.

First, LaTeX is simply a set of user-friendly macros wrapped around TeX,
Donald Knuth's typesetting system. I'l take a back seat to no one in
admiring Knuth's brilliance, but let's face it, usability is definitely not
a strong suit.

One to get that text into something you can use in Frame or Word is via
LaTeX2HTML, a Perl script that converts LaTeX files into HTML files. You'll
lose some of the formatting controls, but the text should make it fine, and
you can always reformat it in the destination package.

However, perhaps a better way is TeX2RTF, which converts TeX to RTF, which
should be readable by both Word and Frame, and you shouldn't loose too much
in the way of formatting information, either. You can pick it up from a
CTAN mirror near you.

TeX and LaTeX are good tools for the sciences. I haven't met too many
publishing tools that can hold a candle to them for typesetting complex
equations.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224