Salary Negotiations & Contractors/Consultants

Subject: Salary Negotiations & Contractors/Consultants
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:37:13 PDT

Questions for all Technical Writers who have done contract/consulting
work:

Over the past 1 1/2 years I have worked through three different
contractor/consulting agencies as a temporary employee. And I have
talked with numerous other agencies (and consulting companies) about
other possibilities. (I have been seeking non-permanent work.) In all
of these dealings, I have yet to have a satisfying salary negotiation.
Everyone of these contractor organizations insists on striping me of my
salary requirements up-front (before I even met with their client). I
find this depressing.

Have you been more successful in salary negotiations for like work? Is
there any ways around this?

NOTE: What is a satisfying salary negotiation? I was taught that
salary should be the LAST thing discussed during the interview process.
That I should only discuss salary after I have throughly scoped-out the
job and know: how technologically complex the assignment is and how
complex the interpersonal relationships are.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)